FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
This list will provide some basic information to assist you in preparing to attend this year's TER convention. (Information provided by our hotel contact, sponsor airline information pages, and other sources)
1. What is the official currency of the Bahamas? If it is not the US Dollar, what is the current rate of exchange?
The US dollar is used.
2. What are the transportation options from the airport to the hotel?
Local cabs as the group will be arriving at different times. The cost is approximately $25.00 for the first two passengers and $6.00 for each additional passenger.
3. What is the customary rate for gratuities in the Bahamas, if different from in the US?
15%. This is normally added to the guest bill
4. Iím taking various electronic devices, ranging from an electric razor to a laptop computer. Do I need to carry voltage adapters? If so, which ones will I need for our location?
No you will not need to bring any adapters, the voltage is the same as the US.
5. I have a standard MCI Calling Card. Will I be able to use it from the Bahamas? Is it a different rate? Do I need to dial any particular access numbers?
Please check with MCI for any questions regarding the rate for the
Bahamas. The is normally an access fee of $2.00 per call, however if you call 800-888-8000 the will be no access fee charge. When making the call if
you are asked to hang up and dial either 881 or 880 please do not as you will be billed twice for the call.
6. Do any of the common cellular providers extend service to the Bahamas?
AT&T, Sprint and Cingular works on island, however please check with you carrier for any instructions on usage.
7. If I rent a car in the Bahamas, will I be required to purchase "local" insurance, or will my personal auto insurance cover the vehicle?
I'm not sure, you would need to check with the individual company being used.
8. Which vendors rent cars in the Bahamas? Does our hotel offered a preferred discount with any of them.
Avis-242-352-7666/242-373-1182, Budget 242-351-8616, Dollar 242-352-9325, Hertz 242-352-3297,Thrifty 242-352-9308.
9. Weíre staying at a Sheraton, and I am have a Corporate Preferred membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. Will I be able to use my membership card to obtain the usual Starwood perks associated with membership?
Yes you can. Please give the number at check in.
10. What is the best way to get around the island, if I want to go exploring?
Using one of the organized tours is best ( tour desk located in the Sheraton lobby 1st floor), however if you wanted to explore on your own a rental scooter or car is best.
11. Is it safe to venture off of the hotel property?
Yes , I must say that in the
3 years that I've been here we have had no incidents of our guest having any
issues of property. Shopping is directly across the street as well as some very nice restaurants and bars.
12. I want to travel to spend some of my free time in Nassau. Whatís the best way to go back and forth? Can I go there in the morning, have a few hours, and get back in the afternoon?
Yes you can. A tour is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays the cost is $260.00 for adults and $199.00 for children (this includes airfare, transprotation around Nassau and a guide) you can make arrangements by calling 242-352-9311ask for Ms. Robinson.
13. Aside from the beach, the casinos, and the TER convention, are there any other attractions that are "donít miss"?
There is horse back riding,swim with Dolphins, the Dolphin encounter, snorkeling trips, party boats each evening, or at Port Lucaya there is always some form of entertainment going on.
14. I want to go to a casino at night. Whatís the dress code?
Casual, no swim suits
15. What credit cards are accepted at the hotel and its shops?
Amex, visa, mastercard, discover
16. I know that Freeport suffered major damage during this year's hurricanes. Will any of the resort's amenities and island's attractions be affected during our convention in the last week of December?
The resort will be completely open by the time your group arrives; all attractions will also be open.
17. What documentation will I need to enter and depart from Grand Bahamas Island?
Travel to and from Grand Bahama Island is considered international travel. All passengers will be required to present a passport or other acceptable identification. In place of a current passport, United States Citizens and nationals may present a valid, government-issued photo ID along with one of the following: a U.S. passport expired up to 5 years, an original birth certificate with raised seal or a certified copy of the original, or a naturalization certificate. Some states no longer issue birth certificates with raised seals. If you find that is the case, please ask the issuing agency for a letter explaining that. The name on the documents presented must match the name on the travel reservation.
18. Are there any departure taxes to pay when I leave?
taxes are incorporated into the price of your airfare. However, according
to the Frommer guide, there is a $5.00 per person cash departure tax
payable at the airport. U.S. or Bahamian dollars are accepted.